Few people realize how complicated it is to build-that in Algarve, until they find themselves lost in a maze of design options, building codes, zoning laws, contractors and so on.
There are several points you should consider when choosing the right architect for you in Golden Triangle (Quinta do Lago, Vale do Lobo, Vilamoura):
1. Design Style. There is no point choosing an architect who has a great portfolio, but no experience with the design you like. Your investment will have a better chance at succeeding if you can both clearly imagine and understand the design. This can be achieved by looking at the architect’s portfolio as well as discussing your goals for what the finished product should look like.
2. Experience. This is the best way to get a feel for the architect’s quality of work and design style. Ask the architect to provide samples of passed projects. They may say they will be able to create the design you want, but their portfolio will give a realistic indication of whether they would be able to handle your design idea.
3. Qualifications. Checking qualifications are extremely important before deciding on an architect. They need to be registered under the Architects Act. The best way to check an architect’s qualifications and training is through the Portuguese Architects Association (OAP) database (lower registered numbers, reflects more years working).
4. Work Approach. You may assume that the architect will allow your input in every aspect of the designing process. However, this may not be the case for all architects and can result in a large amount of difficulties from start to finish. Do you know what their budget or time frame is? How will they give you the designs? Are they open to your feedback? How do they communicate with other consultants on the job?
5. Personality. Real Estate investment, construction and renovations are not always a short term commitment, so it is not only important to choose an architect with experience and skills, but also someone you will get along with well. The last thing you will want is to be butting heads at every decision along the way.
6. Fees. Although this shouldn’t be the main factor when deciding on an architect, you should still take it into consideration. Speaking with an architect about what fees are involved will give you an idea of what you can expect to pay at the end. Some architects may charge extra if changes are made during the building process, so to avoid any nasty surprises, take the time beforehand to speak with the architect.
If your project requires engineering or other design services, the architect can coordinate this team of experts so you don’t have to. The architect sorts out complex building codes and zoning laws. The architect can help you find qualified construction contractors based on your requirements. The architect visits the construction site to help verify that the project is being built according to plans and specifications.
Portugal is a wonderful place to live, that offers you not only good weather, amazing gastronomy and unique landscapes but also the best luxury villas for your living. If you are looking for the perfect luxury villas or project development in Portugal, Algarve, Quinta do Lago, Vale do Lobo and Vilamoura.